Sunday, October 01, 2006

Proof You Won't Stereotype Me as a Liberal

In case you don't know me, let me tell you that my wife and I do not have children. It was not by choice. We know that there are other options available to us, but at this time we do not wish to go through with them, for reasons I do not wish to discuss with anyone except my wife. But this particular "trial" that we have endured has certainly made us hold to higher standards those that the Lord has blessed with children. We have very little sympathy for those that would not treasure the most precious gift that they could ever receive.

Personally, I am very squeamish about abortion. But because of what my wife and I went through I am hesitant to call a fertilized egg a baby, knowing how many were likely flushed down our toilet as my wife endured ever more painful periods as endometrial tissue buildup upon not only her uterus but here intestines as well. It is because of what we went through that we both generally feel that if you decide to get so far as to actually have children, given that you still have options to do otherwise, I mean even after a baby is born you can leave it at a fire station, if
you after that fail at doing the very basic decent thing for that child, well then something might need to be done.

There was this story this weekend about a group of juveniles, all under 14, who go out and rob a video store. But the big point of the story is about a City Councilman, Larry Shirley, making some statement about how their mothers ought to be sterilized if they can't take care of them. "What we've got is a failure in society, whether it's in Mount Pleasant with yuppie parents or whether it's on the East Side with poor crackhead parents."

The Democratic response is under whelming. According to State Sen. Robert Ford: "What Larry Shirley needs to talk about is getting City Council to provide some recreational facilities and activities for these kids." If only these kids had had some activities they would not have pulled a gun on a video store clerk. Please.

If they can't prevent their 12 and nine year old boys from robbing video stores at gun point, I personally wouldn't find much concern over their parents (NOT JUST THE MOTHERS) getting sterilized, especially nowadays that such operations are becoming more successfully reversible. It's not like it's a death sentence, if they are able to afford to reverse it, they might be able to provide for the kids they have. I actually think that the specter of vasectomization would be quite the motivating factor for the "casual dad".

So sorry to disappoint anyone who might think that's a little too close to eugenics or some other bull crap. You have to get a license to drive a car but not to have a baby. Not that I would advocate requiring a license to have children, that would be scarily Orwellian. But just so you know where my lack of sympathy comes from, that's it.

People, do right by your kids. There are a lot of folks out there that just wish they had got the chance.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home